On January 21, 2017, the Women's March
on Washington blossomed into sister
marches around the globe. In total, close to 4 million
diverse women, men and children
stood together in solidarity to defend human rights.
The Women's March sent a bold message to our governments that we demand justice and
equality for all. Now it's time to move forward, collaborate, and act.
South Jersey Connection to Action affirms the mission
of the Women's March
to act peacefully and
politically to promote human rights in the United States and globally.
We stand together
in our diversity, realizing we have multiple identities and intersecting
goals. We welcome all defenders of human rights to join us, asking only that
they be willing to wholly support one of our human rights initiatives.
South Jersey Connection to Action supports the human rights initiatives
of the Women's March. Broadly
stated, we advocate for women's reproductive rights, LGBTQIA rights,
worker's rights, civil rights, disability rights, immigrant rights, ending violence,
and envirionmental justice.
Actions, Meetings, Events
You'll find issues that require immediate action, our meeting announcements, and upcoming events
Our page is open to the public. You don't need to be registered on facebook. EVERYONE can visit.
We also have a calendar
where we post our meetings and upcoming events.
If you want to receive emails
from South Jersey Connection to Action, contact our chairperson,
Past Events Press
February 20, 2017 Bridge Walk:
by John Thornton with Michael Pedicin music
Articles in the Ocean City Gazette
and in the Cape May County Herald
Each South Jersey Connection to Action committee sets advocacy goals for one human rights initiative.
Health Care, Including Reproductive Health Care, Mental Health Care, Medicaid
We believe every man, women, and child in the U.S., regardless of their immigration status, deserves
access to quality healthcare.
We believe in everyone's right to access quality reproductive healthcare and services.
We believe we need to address the mental health
crises in the U.S. and end the stigma and shame associated with treatment.
Our health care goals are to:
- • Defend and expand the Affordable Care Act, which currently covers 20 million people.
- • Protect the most vulnerable by adequately funding Medicare.
- • Bring down out-of-pocket costs like copays and deductibles.
- • Reduce the cost of prescription drugs.
- • Expand access to affordable health care to families regardless of immigration status.
- • Double funding for community health centers, and support the healthcare workforce.
Our reproductive health care goals are to:
- • Defend access to reproductive health care for everyone.
- • Fund clinics that provide reproductive health care to women and men, including testing for STDs, HIV and AIDS,
breast cancer screening, pap test, HPV test and vaccine, infertility treatment, contraception, prenatal care, pregnancy couseling,
and pregnancy termination.
- • Demand medically accurate sexuality education for our children and teens.
Our mental health care goals are to:
- • Launch a national initiative for suicide prevention.
- • Integrate mental and physical healthcare systems to focus on the "whole person."
We firmly declare that LGBTQIA Rights are Human Rights and that it is our
obligation to uplift, expand and protect the rights of our gay, lesbian,
bi, queer, trans or gender non-conforming brothers, sisters and siblings.
We must have the power to control our bodies and be free from gender norms,
expectations and stereotypes.
Our LGBTQIA goals are to:
- • Support LGBT youth, parents, and elders.
- • Protect transgender rights.
- • Fight to keep full federal equality for LGBT Americans.
Rooted in the promise of America's call for huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
we believe in immigrant and refugee rights regardless of status or country of origin.
We believe migration is a human right and that no human being is illegal. We
avocate for fair and humane immigration policies.
Our immigration policy goals are to:
- • Ensure immigraiton laws are enforce humanely
- • Support immigrant integration
- • Support Sanctuary Cities
- • Fight against any and all biased executive immigration orders
We believe that every person and every community in our nation has the right to
clean water, clean air, and access to and enjoyment of public lands. We believe
that our environment and our climate must be protected, and that our land and
natural resources cannot be exploited for corporate gain or greed - especially
at the risk of public safety and health.
Our environmental justice goals are to:
- • Take on the treat of climate change and make America the world's clean energy superpower.
Climate change is an urgent threat and a defining challenge of our time. It threatens our economy, our national security,
and our children's health and futures. We can tackle it by making America the world's clean energy superpower. --H. Clinton
- • Defend, implement, and extend smart pollution and efficiency standards.
- • Invest in clean energy infrastructure, innovation, manufacturing and workforce development.
- • Cut the billions of wasteful tax subsidies to oil and gas companies.
- • Clean Safe Water...
- • Bioiversity...
Too many families in America have suffered, and continue to suffer, from gun violence.
It's the leading cause of death among young African American men, more than the following nine causes combined.
We can, and must, end the epidemic of gun violence.
Our gun violence goals are to:
- • Expand background checks.
- • Take on the gun lobby.
- • Keep guns out of the hands of domestic
abusers, other violent criminals, and the
severely mentally ill.
The wealthy, Wall Street, and corporations must pay their fair share in taxes.
It's outrageous that multi-millionaires and billionaires are allowed to play by a different
set of rules than hardworking families, especially when it comes to paying their fair share of taxes.
--H. Clinton, January 11, 2016
Our tax equality goals are to:
- • Restore basic fairness to our tax code.
- • Close corporate and Wall Street tax loopholes.
- • Simplify and cut taxes for small businesses.
- • Provide tax relief to working families.
The United States is the only developed nation in the world with no guaranteed paid leave of any kind,
including family leave and medical leave.
Our paid leave goals are to:
- • Guarantee up to 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave.
- • Ensure workers receive at least two-thirds of their current wages while on leave.
Separation of Church and State
We want to preserve the constitutional principle of church-state separation
as the only way to ensure religious freedom for all Americans. Churches are not political action
committees and should not act like them.
Our church and state separation goals are to:
- • Protect marriage and reproductive rights.
- • Limit government subsides to religious based groups.
Social Secuirty and Medicare
Our social security goals are to:
- • Expand Social Security for those who need it most and who are treated unfairly by the current system.
- • Preserve Social Security by asking the wealthiest to contribute more.
© South Jersey Connection to Action. All Rights Reserved. Updated 2/24/2017